Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions

Are there restrictions on burning in the City of Delta?

You may have an open flame fire in a contained fire pit, ring, BBQ or other confinement for cooking purposes. No trash, garbage or yard waste may be burned.  Burn barrels for trash and garbage is strictly prohibited. You may burn your agricultural fields and ditches in agriculturally zoned areas. Someone that has the ability to control the open flame must be with all open flames at all times, leaving any open flame is prohibited. A water source must be immediately available. The responsible/attending party(person) doing the controlled burn such as agricultural burning, is required to call the BURN LINE 970-399-2955 before and after burning.  A county wide burn ban will override any and all Municipal Burning Codes.  

Are there restrictions on growing marijuana on private property?

While growing marijuana on private property or in a private residence can be done legally, it is important to understand there are restrictions.  Among those restrictions are the number of plants you are allowed to grow, and the required locked enclosure it must be grown in. 

For more details, you can contact our Investigations Division at (970)874-7676, read the section of the Colorado Constitution relating to marijuana, or click here to view the Colorado Revised Statute regarding marijuana.

Does the police department fingerprint citizens for employment purposes?

The state (Colorado Bureau of Investigation) is no longer accepting fingerprint cards from law enforcement agencies, for the purposes of employment background checks (outside of law enforcement).  We can still assist with cards that are going to another state or the Federal Bureau of Investigation.  For those who need fingerprint cards completed for a Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) background check; "The Place I Go" here in Delta is authorized to complete the cards.  They are located at 104 Meeker St. here in Delta.  You will, however, need to go online to schedule your appointment.  This cannot be done over the phone.  Click here to set up your appointment.

How can I dispose of unwanted prescription medication?

On occasion, the Delta Police Department is able to participate in the Drug Enforcement Administration's (DEA's) Drug Take Back program.  However, the Delta County Sheriff's Office has a disposal site at the front of their office year round.

How do I get my vehicle out of impound, and what do I need?

Vehicles towed or impounded are not stored at the police department, but you will need to start your recovery process here.  If your intention is to drive your vehicle from the tow yard, you will need to bring proof of ownership (ie. registration or title), proof of insurance and your drivers license.  If your intention is to tow your vehicle from the yard, you will need proof of ownership and a government issued photo identification card.  We will then give you the vehicle release form to present to the tow company.  You will not pay any money to the police department to retrieve your vehicle.  You will however, be required to pay the tow company their fees for the towing and storage of the vehicle.

How do I know if I need a standard VIN inspection, or a certified VIN inspection?

The Delta Police Department provides VIN verifications and Certified VIN Inspections to its citizens. One typically will need a VIN verification when:

  • Moved to Colorado from another state
  • Purchased a vehicle from another state
  • Purchased a vehicle without a title
  • In need of title corrections
  • Other similar or special circumstances

To have one completed, you need to come to the Delta Police Department, call the Delta Police Department or call the non-emergency dispatch line at (970) 874-2015.  The dispatch personnel will take down your information and forward it to a VIN inspection officer.  The officer will contact you to arrange a time for the VIN inspection, if not able to immediately respond.  The officer will have in his/her possession the correct form needed. These inspections currently cost $10 and you will have to pay in person at the Delta Police Department in order to receive your completed inspection. You must be a resident of the City of Delta for this service.

Certified VIN Inspection may be required in circumstances involving:

  • Out of the Country vehicles and Canadian vehicles
  • Bonded Titles
  • Salvage Titles
  • Homemade trailers /vehicles
  • Rebuilt vehicles or those using certain parts from more than one vehicle
  • Other similar or special circumstances

The Delta Police Department no longer completes Certified VIN Inspections as of August 2, 2019. To have one completed contact Colorado State Patrol at (970) 249-439

How do I obtain copies of police records?

Please visit our Services page and scroll down to find the Records Request Form.

Is it illegal to panhandle?

No, the right to panhandle on a sidewalk, or other places it is lawful to be, is protected by the U.S. Constitution.  State laws and municipal ordinances attempted to prevent panhandling have been deemed unconstitutional by the Federal Courts.  However, Panhandling,  just like protesting, walking or standing cannot be done on center medians or other places prohibited by law.

What can I do about junk in my neighbor's yard?

Contact the Delta Police Department's Code Enforcement Officer.  He is available Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.  Let him know about your concerns and he will begin working with your neighbor to ensure their yard is in compliance with City Ordinances.  

Who do I report animal abuse to?

Animal abuse is a serious issue and can be reported to the Delta Police Department's Code Enforcement Officer during normal business hours, or a police officer after hours and on weekends.

​Are city parks open 24 hours a day?

No, Delta's city parks are only open from dawn to dusk.  Those in the parks after dusk will most likely be contacted by law enforcement and asked to leave.  A summons for trespassing could also be issued.

View All FAQ's